[Notice issued May 5, 2017]
The Alabama Department of Insurance (DOI) hereby gives notice of the issuance of Requests for Proposals (RFP) for qualified respondents to provide the DOI with the following professional services:
· Property and Casualty Insurance Actuarial Services
· Life and Disability Insurance Actuarial Services
· Certified Public Accountant Services
· Insurer Examination Services
· Insurer Market Conduct Examination Services
· Insurer Investments Examination Services
· Insurer Automated Examination Services
Contracts are contemplated to be awarded for the one-year of term October 1, 2017, through September 30, 2018. Responses to the RFP must be received not later than June 9, 2017, at 3:00 PM CDT. Each response must include one original unredacted response in binder form plus three (3) identical electronic versions in PDF format on Compact Disc (CD or DVD) or USB drive.
The RFPs are listed in the State of Alabama Accounting and Resource System or STAARS.
Click here for the self-service page for STAARS:
RFP for Professional Actuarial Services for Property and Casualty Insurance: Adobe
RFP for Professional Actuarial Services for Life and Disability Insurance: Adobe
RFP for Professional CPA Services: Adobe
RFP for Professional Insurer Examination Services: Adobe
RFP for Professional Insurer Market Conduct Examination Services: Adobe
RFP for Professional Insurer Investments Examination Services:Adobe
RFP for Professional Computer Audit Services: Adobe
Exhibit B, the TeamMate® Confidentiality Agreement, must be submitted with every proposal except for CPA. A PDF copy is included above with each RFP. An additional copy in Word format is accessible here: Word
State law requires a Disclosure Statement to be submitted with every proposal. The form can be accessed from the Attorney General’s Web site at the following address: http://ago.alabama.gov/Page-Vendor-Disclosure-Statement-Information-and-Instructions
For the procedures and forms for foreign corporations to qualify to do business in the State of Alabama, please visit the web page for the Alabama Secretary of State at http://sos.alabama.gov/
REVISIONS TO THIS NEWS RELEASE AND RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS WILL BE POSTED BELOW.
1. Is the State amenable to modifying the indemnity provision in the proposed contract such that the contractor indemnifies the Department only for the contractor’s “negligent” acts or omissions, such that the indemnity obligations extend only to the contractor’s wrongdoing?
2. We note the State’s assertion that the State is prohibited from accepting “some provisions” limiting damages payable by a vendor, including those limiting damages to the cost of goods or services. Is the State permitted to agree to a vendor limitation of liability that is greater than the cost of goods or services, for example a limitation of liability stated as a higher multiple of fees or a flat dollar amount that is greater than the costs of goods or services?
ANSWER: Exhibit “A” is the contract the Department will use. A response to the proposal shall include an unconditional agreement to enter into a contract with the Department of Insurance in the form of Exhibit “A” which will be modified according to Section 2.3.4 of the RFP. Contract terms will not be modified to suit the vendor.
Property and Casualty Actuarial Services:
3. What actuarial firms are currently providing the services outlined in the RFP?
ANSWER: The following two companies are contracted to provide property and casualty actuarial services:
Merlinos & Associates, Inc.
Taylor-Walker Consulting Actuaries, LLC
4. How long have the current actuarial firms been providing the services outlined in the RFP?
Merlinos & Associates, Inc.--More than five years
Taylor-Walker Consulting Actuaries, LLC—Within the last five years
5. Can you provide the hourly rates of the actuarial firms currently providing services?
ANSWER: For October 1, 2016 through March 30, 2017, the amounts paid to Merlinos & Associates, Inc., has been $42,495.00. Taylor-Walker Consulting Actuaries, LLC, has not incurred any charges during this time.
6. Why has the RFP been issued at this point in time?
ANSWER: The Department issues Requests for Proposals at least annually.
7. Is the examination actuarial consultant required to use Teammate software? Is Microsoft Excel an acceptable alternative?
ANSWER: TeamMate® is required—see 1.2.5. Description of Services. Microsoft Excel is not an acceptable alternative.
8. In our proposal, should we refer to the RFP as “Solicitation RFP 038 17000000078” or as “RFP # ALDOI-2017-01”?
ANSWER: Please refer to the RFP as the number assigned by the Department and not by the STAARS automated system. For purposes of this question, you would use RFP #ALDOI-2017-01.
9. On the first page of the Solicitation (in STAARS), the billing contact person is listed as Nicole Boswell. In Exhibit A (of the RFP document), the Department contact person for matters relating to invoicing and payment processing is Shawndala Harrison. If awarded a contract, to whom should be sent bills/invoices?
ANSWER: Please refer to Exhibit A of the RFP document.
10. Paragraph 4.1. – Do the 3 identical electronic versions in PDF format need to be on 3 different CDs or USB drives?
11. RFP Paragraphs 5. 1 and 5.3. – Will DOI post its response to written questions on the DOI Website or on Alabama STAARS Vendor Self Service?
ANSWER: As Paragraph 5.3 states, the DOI will post its responses to questions on the DOI website.